Saturday, July 03, 2010

Instructor "Forgets" About Sick Scuba Diver Who Drowns

A tragic case of illness, negligence, and ultimately death.

A British tourist died on a scuba trip after the instructor ‘forgot’ about her as he pointed out sharks and rays to other divers, an inquest heard.

Nobody had noticed the 40-year-old was missing until they returned to the boat and saw her body floating on the surface of the Pacific Ocean.

She had vomited 22m (72ft) under the water and had nobody to help her bec­ause her dive buddy had surfaced early, the hearing was told,

Fellow divers told the inquest divemaster Fabrizio Cardo was ‘more interested’ in pointing out tropical fish than taking care of their welfare.

Continue reading...

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Donna Newton.

Bookmark and Share


Diving Discoveries said...

What an awful thing to happen. The divemaster should not have allowed her to dive, under no circumstances should anyone dive sick, let alone with food poisoning.

Mr. Cardo should be held accountable as this is undoubtably a case of negligence.

Dive Philippines said...

I remember the saying, "Only divers, when they hear there are sharks in the water, get excited and dive in." And indeed, this Cardo fellow was so engaged in showing off the sea creatures that he forgot about his primary job which was to keep the dive safe.

Even at the point when she vomited, Cardo should have directed Donna to surface.

That certainly would have made a whole lot of difference.

Our prayers are with her and her family.

Josh Lunzaga said...

This is such a horrible accident.. I hope the victim's family recovers from this. And I also hope that dive instructors should be really extra careful when it comes to briefing the divers..