Thursday, March 12, 2009

Remorseful Spear Fisherman Kills 12-foot Tiger Shark

Last June, spear fisherman Craig Clasen engaged in a two-hour, life-and-death struggle with a 12-foot tiger shark. In the end, Clasen was victorious -- but certainly not proud.

Quoting Clasen: "This was one of the most remorseful moments I have ever had in all of my years in hunting and fishing."

The battle took place off the coast of New Orleans where Clasen, filmmaker Ryan McInnis and two friends were hunting tuna.

"I positioned myself between Ryan and the shark and I tried to watch it for a second, hoping it would pass," said Clasen, 32, who was wearing a snorkel. "The shark made a roll and looked like it was going to charge us.

"Down in my core I really felt the shark was there to feed. I didn't want it to come to that."

During the underwater struggle, Clasen speared the shark seven times and even attempted to drown it before finishing it off with a long-blade knife. It wasn't clear how often Clasen had to resurface to breathe. "Once I shot it in the gills I felt a moral obligation to finish the job," he said. "In the end we put a knife in its skull."

Unfortunate as the incident was, some amazing photos have been released.











Bookmark and Share

No comments: