Monday, November 10, 2008

WHOA! Kiteboarder Swatted by Whale's Tail

Talk about jumping the shark whale!

It's a whale tale only Jonah could match.

But for kiteboarder David Sheridan, the proof of his amazing brush with a southern right whale is there for the world to see, as this amazing photograph shows.

Skimming across the whitecaps 100m from shore, the North Coast school teacher passes within centimetres of the giant mammal, oblivious to the shadow beneath.

Picture: Incredible whale flails caught on camera

But just moments after this close encounter was captured by his sail-mounted camera, the whale flicked its tail and lashed him in the back of the head.

"It all happened so fast that all I could do was crouch down as the whale swam under me," Mr Sheridan, 42, said yesterday.

"Next thing I felt was its tail come up and hit me on the back of the head.

"I thought I was gone, but the force eased off and I sailed away with shaking legs."

Continue reading...


Bookmark and Share

No comments: